Monday 20 August 2012

failed oatmeal muffins

Next time I see the words "healthy" and "oatmeal" in a recipe, I'll skip it. I did make some minor changes to the recipe that might have affected the taste. The muffins are interesting as one of my friends would say. They are quite bland. This recipe called for 1/3 cup of brown sugar for 1 cup of rolled oats and 1 cup of flour. Go figure! But they did have 1 cup of semi sweet chocolate.. which I substituted for 1/2 cup of raisins and 1/2 cup of the chips... that was a big mistake. It also had surprisingly not a lot of fatty ingredients (only 1 egg and 1/4 cup of butter).  No wonder the recipe I used said to put a nice pat of butter on these muffins when eating them.
stuck with a dozen of these bad boys
I'm very happy that today I decided not the double the recipe. I'll need to find a better oatmeal muffin recipe in the future. Though that might not be in the near future. Most of my posts are actually related to oatmeal now that I look at it.. but there is a logical explanation behind this!



A few months ago I was really into making overnight oats with chia seeds. At home, we usually only have the instant oatmeal, but this recipe needed rolled oats, or old fashioned oats. So after a few weeks of eyeing this recipe, I decided it was time that I got myself some rolled oats. At the supermarket, I actually found a pretty neat porridge mix that had wheat germ and flax seeds. I thought it'd be a good idea to buy 1.5 kg of this oatmeal at the time.

So here we are, a few months later, with the same oatmeal... thank goodness it doesn't spoil quickly!


There are so many creative ways of using oatmeal! I had to find them since I realized I don't like eating this oatmeal mix as a traditional porridge in the morning. The wheat germ in it just kills me. But baked (or with a lot of sugar), you can barely taste it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment