Saturday 25 August 2012

courgette pancakes

Among the first words I learned in kindergarden, courgette has been a memorable one. Even today, my parents remind me how I'd try to correct them whenever they said zucchini. I was pretty excited when we received this lovely courgette from someone's garden.
Courgette vs iPod Classic
It is huge. Like maybe 10 cups of shredded courgette.. and I thought I'd only most 5 cups. So it's officially time to get creative with this amazing veggie. Since I wasn't expecting so much zucchini, I ended up shredding the whole thing. So much shredding! I started to use my grater, but ended up using my food processor. Boy did that make my life easier! Haha, I can't believe I did not think of that earlier.


shredded!
Anyway, enough with the courgette, onto the zucchini bread pancake. With some maple syrup, it's amazing since the pancake on its own isn't as sweet. The zucchini really makes the pancakes nice and moist.

Zucchini Bread Pancakes adapted from smitten kitchen

Ingredients
2 eggs
3 tbsp EVOO
1 tbsp caster sugar
1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp lemon juice or vinegar
1/2 tsp vanilla
9 oz of shredded & drained zucchini
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon

1. Combine milk and lemon juice. Let it rest for 10 mins. If you have butter milk, just use 1/4 cup of butter milk with an additional 1/4 cup of milk and omit the lemon juice.
2.  In a separate bowl, sift flour, cinnamon, baking soda and salt together.
3. Mix egg, EVOO, sugars, milk mixture and vanilla.
4. Stir zucchini into wet ingredients. Once well combined, add dry ingredients.
5. Heat a nonstick skillet. Add a tsp of oil and coat the pan. Add approximately 1/2 cup of batter per pancake. Cook until surface is filled with little bubbles. Flip and wait until golden.



They are best eaten hot and fresh, with genuine maple syrup. More courgette posts to come... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment