|lemon bar squares|
Although I love the tangy flavour of lemons, I don't like sweetened condensed milk. There's something about the taste it leaves in your mouth that kills me. This recipe is super easy to make and doesn't require much ingredients. It also calls for oatmeal! (I can't wait to finish my porridge mix and get some regular old fashioned oats..) I might have added a little too much brown sugar since my crust was a little crumbly.. Or my pan might have been too big.. Anyhow, it's a nice sweet treat if you like lemon and sweetened condensed milk.
|after being refrigerated|
Yields 16 squares
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 cup of brown sugar, lightly packed
1 cup flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
Zest of 1 lemon
1. Mix butter and sugar together until crumbly.
2. In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking powder, salt and oatmeal together.
3. Add flour mixture to butter-sugar mix. Mix until it forms a nice crumbly texture.
4. Line and 8X8 pan. You might always want to grease it with butter.
5. Pour half of the crumble mixture in the pan and press down. Save the remaining half for the topping.
6. In a separate bowl, whisk lemon juice, sweetened condensed milk and zest together until it is all well blended.
7. Spread mixture onto of crumble mixture that you've flattened and top it with the remaining crumble.
8. Bake in an oven at 350F for 20-25 minutes/
9. After 30 minutes out of the oven, cut squares, but don't remove the squares. This will make it easier to remove after it is refrigerated.
10. Refrigerate over night or until chilled.
11. Enjoy for a tea break.