Tuesday 25 September 2012

banana muffin comeback

I am still alive! And doing just fine. It's the flu season and I might have caught something. Let's just hope its allergies. On the bright side, I did buy a lot of bananas over the week. Like, when I mean a lot, see for yourself here. Ever since my parents came back from their trip from Cuba, our house has not been out of bananas. They are such a great fruit! (awesome for eating, baking or cooking) I think it's the perfect food.

On that lovely picture, you can see that there were some on the far right that were super ripe, almost black. I think those are truly the best for baking. And no worries, no bananas were harmed in the making of these muffins. (well the fulfilled their banana destiny ;)

simple banana muffins
My biggest challenge in finding these recipes was to find one without sour cream. I didn't have time nor did I want to go and buy it, especially that I would only use it to bake. I kept it simple and just decided to look for a recipe that made use of what I had in my pantry and fridge.

After reading a zillion of posts on banana muffin/bread, I ended up going back to the very first recipe that I found in a cookbook, simple but yet so yummy (Though you'd need to try some to agree with me on that last one). The recipe was originally for banana-walnut bread, but I adapted it for muffins and without nuts since I'm mildly allergic. I feel that this is truly a fool proof recipe. The muffins came out light and airy, not too dense. It also wasn't as sweet as I thought it'd be. So for those who have a sweet tooth, you might consider making that a generous half a cup of sugar. This recipe really puts the spotlight on the banana flavour.

where is the muffin man?!
Simple Banana Muffins adapted from Baking with Love
Yields 15 muffins
2 cups AP flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 salt
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
4 ripe bananas, mashed (it's even better when they turn black!)
1/4 cup milk

1. Sift flour, baking soda & baking powder together.
2. With an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar together. Once well combined, add bananas, milk and vanilla.
3. Add one egg at a time into the wet mixture.
4. Gradually stir in dry ingredients. Be careful not to overmix.
5. Bake for 20 minutes at 400F.
6. My favorite part: eat along with a nice cup of coffee :)

No comments:

Post a Comment