Saturday 15 September 2012

lemon blueberry loaf

I always have a stash of frozen blueberries whenever I feel like making blueberry muffins (my favorite!). These berries are so versatile since you can eat them fresh, bake them and even make smoothies out of them. Thank goodness that I'm not yet allergic! I decided to get creative and change up my blueberry craving so I decided to make a lemon blueberry loaf.

when lemon meets blueberries

Clearly, the picture doesn't do it justice.. but I will be able to use my new favorite toy when it comes back ;) Well the cake turned out to be pretty moist, but as you can see on the picture above, it didn't really rise that much and stayed dense. I'm not sure if it's because of where I placed it in my oven... but the results aren't very pretty to look at, but at least the taste is still good. The lemon-blueberry combination seem to pair up really nicely. This loaf does have that lemony tangy taste, so if you're not fond of it, you might not want to try this out.. but the crumb topping makes it extra good and adds an extra hint of sweetness to it all. I feel that it really tones down the lemon taste of the loaf.

a better shot of the crumb topping
Lemon Blueberry Loaf adapted from Joy of Baking
Yields one 8X4inch pan
---Cake
1/3 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 eggs
1 cup sugar
3 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 cup blueberry, fresh or frozen
1 tsp lemon zest
1/2 cup milk

---Crumb topping
3 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
3 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 cup flour

1. Cream butter and sugar together with an electric mixer. Once well combined, add in egg, vanilla and lemon juice.
2. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together. If you are using frozen blueberries, keep some flour aside as you will coat your blueberries with it. This will help prevent the blueberries from sinking in the bottom of your pan.
3. Add in half the dry ingredients until combined and afterwards add milk and remaining flour.
4. Fold in blueberries and lemon zest.
5. Preheat oven at 350F and line a 8X4 inch pan.
6. For crumb topping, add all ingredients together in a small bowl and mix until it has a crumb appearance. You might want to use your hands for this step.
7. Scrape batter into prepared pan and spread crumb topping evenly after.
8. Bake for 60-70 minutes.
9. Enjoy with a nice tall glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment