Tuesday 2 October 2012

apple fritter muffins

I really love autumn. Although the trees are getting ready to go to sleep for winter, everything else is amazing! The weather is getting chilly enough to wear boots and scarves. Coffee shops are serving their seasonal pumpkin spiced lattes. And best of all, APPLE PICKING time. Seriously, what is there not to love about this awesome season?
apple fritter muffins
I decided to make Apple Fritter Muffins since I received freshly picked apples. I wish I would have time to go myself, but I was lucky enough that someone brought me back some awesome apples :) Freshly picked are the best! This muffin is a healthy version of an apple fritter (yes, that great deep fried apple-cinnamon flavoured doughnut). I thought it was pretty neat that there was a muffin equivalent to it. I'm always down to make muffins; they're always so simple and practical! What is there not to love?

I'm pretty satisfied with the end result of my muffins. I'm not overly ecstatic though. I found that the muffin itself lacks something. Like some sort of kick. I got to admit that the icing really completes it well, but other than that there's something missing. I'm not sure if it's because I used a different apple.. or maybe my apples were diced to small? Or maybe a little more cinnamon. Up until now, I still don't know. The recipe is great though, they taste amazing! It might just be me.

Apple Fritter Muffins adapted from Chasing Some Blue Sky
Yields 15 muffins
--- Apples
3 medium McIntosh apples (diced in 1/4 inch cubes)
1/3 cup caster sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
3 tbsp butter
2 tbsp water
1/3 cup flour

--- Muffins
2 1/3 cup AP flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup applesauce
1 cup caster sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup oil
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 tsp cinnamon
1 cup buttermilk (I used 1 cup skimmed milk + 1 tbsp vinegar, I let it rest for around 5-10 mins)

--Icing
1 cup icing sugar
2 tbsp melted butter
3 tbsp hot water
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. For the apples, in a medium sized pan, heat all ingredients for apples except flour at a medium heat. Simmer until the apple are soft and most of the liquid has disappeared. Set aside and when cool enough, coat with flour in order to avoid them from sinking in the bottom of your muffin batter.
2. For muffins, sift flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, mix applesauce, sugar and oil together until well combined.
4. Add eggs and vanilla into wet mixture.
5. Stir in flour and buttermilk into wet mixture and stop mixing once everything is well combined.
6. Fold in apples and pour batter in prepared muffin tins.
7. Bake in the oven at 400F for around 20 minutes.
8. After removing from oven, let the muffin cool down before moving onto the glaze.
9. For the icing, mix all ingredients in a bowl and add more water if needed.
10. Dip muffins into the icing and let the icing harden.
11. If you are feeling a little more daring, repeat step 10. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment