Thursday 12 July 2012

a fresh beginning.

If you are reading this, that means I have officially decided to start my food blog. It feels like just last year that I was telling Cars how much I wanted one. So why did it take so long? I didn't have a blog name. I know whatever name I pick, it doesn't matter, right? The whole point would be to keep track of my lovely adventures in my kitchen. So, yes, it took me an entire year to get this thing figured out.

How did I come up with the name? In fact, I didn't. It's actually my brother's idea. He was joking around saying how I should call it Delices de l'Ile Maurice (a Mauritian restaurant in Verdun) as well as other silly names related to my childhood. He then came up with "aux caprices des délices". I love the French touch in a name. I think it's something about the language that gives it that hint of sophistication (or maybe it's just me). Anyhow, it turns out that Aux Caprices des Délices was some B&B somewhere in Quebec. So, I decided it was best to stick with Délices et Caprices. I love things that rhyme anyways.

Today marks a very important day: the first of my summer vacatioooons! And for the first time in 5 years, I'm not working this summer and I'm free as a bird. So what better than to celebrate by baking! :)

Snickerdoodles

I saw this video Tuesday night and I knew I had to make snickerdoodles. I think the first time I baked it was ages ago, most probably around 5 years ago. When I first heard the name, I thought that these cookies were some kind of joke, lol. The name sounded very funny and unconventional. Unfortunately, I lost my recipe from back then, but I did find an alternative online. Mine turned out to be fat because I forgot the last step of slightly flattening them after putting them on the baking sheet.

My poor attempt at styling the fat cookies

As seen on the picture above, they ARE fat, lol. My snickerdoodles are clearly very plump, nice and thick. I really wish I could find my old recipe. I love the cinnamon flavour and chewiness of these cookies! But, they aren't quite the same as the last ones I had, or maybe I just forgot. Hopefully this will not the the last of my baking experiments :)

Fresh out of the oven.

You can find the recipe at How Sweet It Is.

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I just want to welcome you to Blogspot. It is cute and here's hoping you'll have fun blogging. Also, I want to offer my Snickerdoodle recipe if you want to try it.

    http://foodie19.blogspot.com/2010/10/project-cookiescupcakes-etc.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) I will give your recipe a try next time I make snickerdoodles!

      Delete
  2. Oh an I forgot to add, you don't have to press the dough before baking to make the cookies flat. They will flatten as they bake/cook :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!! I got to try them last friday at work, they were delicious. I will try making them too. When Mike said he had snickerdoodles all I could think of was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAX-YLiAPLU&feature=related

    Thank you so much and keep giving Mike treats to bring to work...

    Annie

    ReplyDelete