Anyhow, enough about the summer, and onto the baked goods! I had frozen blueberries that I never had the chance to bake during the past month and stumbled on this recipe while surfing on smitten kitchen. Deb's recipes never disappoint. With such a whimsical name, it had to be baked! Blueberry boy bait! ;) Who could resist this buttery cake?
|blueberry boy bait|
I've altered slightly the recipe, adding more blueberries and less sugar. The cake turned out very moist and I love blueberries, so I decided to double the original amount, which might have made my cake a little more brittle. I would suggest reducing the amount of blueberries as this makes the cake very fragile to carry! Especially for deliveries! ;)
Blueberry Boy Bait
Adapted from smitten kitchen
Yields a 13 X 9 inch pan
2 1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup + 1/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1 cup buttermilk
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries (if using frozen, do not thaw before using)
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
2. Whip butter, 1/2 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup of caster sugar together in an electric mixer until it turns into a fluffy mixture.
3. Add one egg at a time and mix until well incorporated.
4. Add flour mixture alternating with milk. Keep 1/4 cup of flour aside as this will be used to coat 1 cup of blueberries.
5. Fold in 1 cup of blueberries coated with flour mixture.
6. Preheat oven at 350F
7. Pour batter in a 13 by 9 inch pan.
8. Scatter remaining frozen or fresh blueberries on top.
9. In a small bowl, mix 1/4 cup sugar with cinnamon and sprinkle over batter.
10. Bake for roughly 50 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
11. Allow to cool in pan for roughly 20 minutes.
12. Slice, eat and repeat.