Thursday 18 April 2013

my perfect blueberry muffin

What an ambitious title I've got here! Over the years, there's one type of muffin that I could never get fed up of and that is my dearest blueberry muffin. Most probably overated, but I love them! I have tried different variations of this muffin, with oil, butter and lemon, but I don't think I've ever had my "perfect" blueberry muffin until now! I had one that I overused because my mom loved it, but I was getting fed up of that same old blueberry muffin. So I present you what I consider as my perfect blueberry muffin, at least for now.




So what makes this blueberry muffin different from the others? An extra step that ward off those bakers who want something quick an easy. In terms of preparation, I have to admit that when I initially read the recipe, I was slightly discouraged that there was an additional step, but soon after they were baked and ready to eat, I completely forgot about that. But for all those time pressed people (in this lovely month of April, you know who you are!), this might not be your perfect blueberry muffin.


Although it doesn't look that amazing (clearly the picture from See Brooke Cook is much nicer), mine turned out looking like something exploded on my muffins. But this extra step of making a blueberry jam out of fresh/frozen blueberries, makes quite a difference in my opinion. They quickly ran out in my household :)



My Perfect Blueberry Muffin  
Adapted from See Brooke Cook
Yields roughly 15 muffins

Ingredients
Jam
1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen will do!)
1 tsp sugar

Muffin
1 cup blueberries
1 cup sugar
2 1/2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla


1. Prepare your jam in a small sauce pan. Add both ingredients and cook until most of the blueberries have disappeared in a paste like consistency. Be careful of not doing this at too high heat, else it could burn.
2. Set makeshift jam aside and allow to cool for at least 15 minutes.
3. Start preparing the dough for your muffins. Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt).
4. In a separate bowl, whisk egg and sugar until it reaches a nice thick consistency. Mix in oil, vanilla and milk.
5. Making a "well" in your dry mixture, pour in wet mixture and fold in blueberries.
6. Preheat oven at 385F.
8. Fill muffin tin with batter and put a teaspoon of the jam on top of each muffin. You can also try swirling it in your batter. Clearly, from my pictures, this was not a successful step!
9. Bake for roughly 25 minutes or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean when inserted into baked muffin.
10. Devour with a tall glass of milk.

2 comments:

  1. These blueberry muffins look absolutely delicious! I'll have to make this for breakfast sometime (:

    P.S. I found you through Foodgawker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! :) I hope you do try them! They are quite different from your typical blueberry muffin!

      Delete